I decided that extra weight was required so I proceeded to find out how to get into the tank.
The process is simple enough and was carried out on an Esso tank car as follows:
- Ensure that you layout all of the parts similarly to the photo below so that you can reassemble the tank car with all the details correctly placed.
- Unscrew the bogies.
- Unscrew the three screws holding the tank to the underframe
- Remove the three unloading pipes from the underside of the tank.
- Carefully disconnect all ladders, strapping etc. connected to the tank from the underframe
- Unscrew the two small screws holding the underside of the tank.
- Glue four small lead fishing sinkers along the centre of the existing metal weight.
- Reassemble carefully, particularly when aligning all the ladders, strapping, etc. between the tank and the underframe.
Exploded view including the fishing sinkers
I should mention that these SDS Models rail tank cars are the ones that are/were available as singles from the first manufacturer (considered unsatisfactory by SDS Models). The later three pack tank cars from SDS Models may not have this weight issue. If some one could weigh a tank car from a three pack and let me know the mass in grams that would be useful.