Sunday, September 15, 2024

"The best laid plans of mice and men" and the End of a Story Started in 2018.

Well, so much for posting more often, "the best laid plans of mice and men". Life intruded yet again when my wife Christine dislocated a 2 year old hip replacement at 2:30am on 26 January, just by rolling over in bed. The first time was on 15 August last year followed by a couple of months of rehab physio. Christine had hip revision surgery on 31 July to correct the implants. Apparently, the implants have socket and ball parts that can be replaced. We have been assured that it will not happen again. It was a different surgeon this time, however I won't blame the first surgeon as Christine had a fall, slamming the knee onto the concrete floor of the garage, this was about two weeks before the first dislocation. I think that she dislodged or cause some thing to turn out of alignment.

So for the last year I have been the main 'doer' around the place and I still have the last thirteen signals to build.

I recently got a Samsung tablet and tonight I wanted to check something on my BYLONG blog but didn't have a bookmark saved on it yet so I did a search for my blog. Among the results was a link to my first BYLONG blog post so I read it and a number of the following posts. Well, with time everything changes and also remains the same. More on this in a later post.

In the first post I explained the back-story of the layout and as things worked out I had to back date the layout to the early 1890's. This happened because I received a mystery box in the post containing the parts for a round brick water tower (see the January 2018 post in the side bar to the right). There was a cast plaster round brick column and a brass Trainbuilder VR water tower tank and no explanatory letter or note. After checking the post office mark on the postage stamp, I made a phone call. The mystery gift was from a friend, Rohan Fergusson, as he had noticed that BYLONG didn't have any water facilities.

Now, back to the present or at least the recent, and not so recent past, to begin with. For some time I pondered on where to place it in the confines of the BYLONG yard, it moved a number of times. Next, I was a bit worried about how to treat the bricks without losing the white mortar lines.. The prototype round water towers in NSW seem to be built of red brick but I felt that the red would stand out way to much compared to the drab drought scenery of late 1965. I eventually chose to use various pastels, as paint would likely spread into the mortar which would mean that it would have to be corrected with a white wash in the future.

After a lot of experimenting with the pastels over a long time I decided that it was done.

The next step was to finish the build and scenic it in place on the layout. I designed and 3D printed a circular base 20mm larger in diameter than the tower with a 1mm deep centre to accommodate the round tower. The base was glued in place followed by zip texturing using a light yellow ochre powdered tile grout, some light grey/brown tile grout followed and various coloured static grasses, all held in place with watered down glue. Care was taken not to glue the tile grout in the centre where the round tower was to be glued.

After removing the dry tile grout from the centre of the base the round plaster tower was glued in place and once the glue had set the water tank was glued on. Finally the ladder and incoming water supply pipe were attached.

Along with the water tower BYLONG needed three water columns, so three white metal Uneek water column kits were bought. Two were placed at the Down end of the loop for the double headed goods trains tackling the 1 in 40 grades and the other was placed at the UP end of the loop as not so much water was required when descending the grades. The water columns also service the Main line.

While zip texturing I forgot to cover the loop track with some masking tape and as a result the zip texturing went onto the side of the ballast and ends of the sleepers. The story now is that there is a water leak from the tower that has got in under the loop track and the trains have pumped a muddy slurry up through the ballast as well as turning the grass near the tower a slightly healthier green.

Here is the mud being pumped up by the trains.

The observant will notice the valve wheels on the water columns

While checking my plans for water columns I found one for this style made by Goninans for the SMR with a spoked valve wheel. I thought, why not? So, I drew a 3D version and printed it in resin. I printed six and just as well as the shaft of the wheel/valve is very thin and I broke one while assembling the column. I will have to be careful around the water columns when cleaning the track.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice scene ,the brick colouring is really nice to . I cant believe you have been running steamers for so long with no watering facilities.

Ray P said...

Wollar near the top of the grade has water facilities with three water tanks and soon to have five water columns, up from the existing three. The Wollar station is almost at the top, there is still another 1 in40 grade to the Gulgong staging. Just no water down the grades which is now remedied. :-)