Anyway, my Shapeways 3D prints of the catch points (White Strong and Flexible) and the indicators (Frosted Ultra Detail) turned up last week and I have been assembling them to see if I have designed them well enough to have them actually work.
OK, well the catch point needs to be amended as the dog spikes are too fragile and I lost a number of them while inserting the rail. The rail was Peco Code 75 flat bottomed. I haven't tried MicroEngineering Code 70 as yet but it does have a similar base width so I would expect a similar result. If you get a catch point when I put them on my Shapeways Shop then don't paint the sleepers first, it just makes it harder to insert the rails and I lost a few more dog spikes doing this.
I have beefed up the dog spikes by 10% and raised them slightly to give better clearance for the angle of the rail bottom flange area but there is a limit before the spike heads will be hit by the wheel flanges. So far they are clear of 88 and 110 wheel flanges.
|Printed Left and Right Catch Points as received
|Catch Point Indicators - Brightness and Contrast adjusted to try to show the detail
|Check of rail gauge - Lower rail temporarily fitted
|One indicator set clipped from the main sprue with most of the sprues cut away to assist with painting access
|Part assembled catch point with an indicator
|Overall view of the location - A lit Clearance Post can be seen on the right
|A closer view
|A close up view of the indicator - The square section rotates to the other aspect (arrow)
Another set of prints will be ordered when I finish the design changes. I hope that this indicator can be lit from below the baseboard by an LED in a hole drilled from below but I will only find out once I try it. The light will have to go vertical (easy) then be bright enough to reflect out sideways through the pivot, into the head section and out the small red lens and the arrow area. Fingers crossed on this one.
Finally, here is the NSWGR plan again.
|NSWGR Standard Catch Point - 1936